Oh my word. You have never put such a taste sensation in your mouth.
We filled out a survey at Rosewood Market and received $10 in gift certificates. We purchased some groceries with those vouchers only to have the transaction get so confused (the register said I purchased FOUR sweet potato biscuits…not that I couldn’t have put those down…but I only wanted to pay for the one I purchases) that she gave me all my groceries for FREE. So, this week we went to the Market again and used our certificates to purchase some produce. Joel had found a recipe for Butternut Squash Risotto that he wanted us to try. And try we did! This is now seriously one of our fave, healthy, cheap meals!!
Here’s our version of Sliced Chicken & Butter Nut Squash Risotto with Sauteed Chard & Mushrooms (This serves 4)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- baby portabella mushrooms
- mulit-colored swiss chard
- 2 cups butternut squash (2 medium squash)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups hot chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cut squash in half, place on a cookie sheet and roast for 30 minutes. Mash in a bowl with a fork. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften, then stir in the rice. Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is glossy from the butter, and the onion begins to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes more.
- Pour in the white wine; cook, stirring constantly, until it has evaporated. Stir in the mashed squash and 1/3 of the hot chicken stock; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until the chicken stock has been absorbed by the rice, 7-10 minutes. Add half of the remaining chicken stock, and continue stirring until it has been absorbed. Finally, pour in the remaining stock, and continue stirring until the risotto is creamy. Add nutmeg. Finish by stirring in the Parmesan cheese, and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. (THE RISOTTO TAKES PATIENCE…BUT IT’S WORTH IT! It’s done when it looks real fat and puffy.)
While the risotto is cooking pound the chicken to 1/2 inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat pan to medium-high add 1 tbsp butter and tbsp of minced garlic. When pan is hot add chicken cook for 5 minutes then flip to other side.
While chicken is cooking cut up various colors Swiss Chard (red is the tastiest!) and Baby Bella Mushrooms add to pan as chicken is nearly done add a dash of oil if it’s not wilting enough.
Remove chicken. Let rest. Slice with the grain of the chicken.
Serve Risotto topped with greens and chicken.