Okay, you KNOW it’s a good book when you set your alarm for 5 am just so you can sneak in a few pages before getting your kids up for school…that’s just what I did to finish “Hope Heals”. It’s a book about a precious couple who walk through insane trauma, grief and despair, but as they do, they find that redefined hope heals.
I was worried I wouldn’t have the emotional energy to engage a sad story, but I was literally doing a victory dance (a silent ninja warrior-like victory dance, that is–never wake sleeping children!!) as I saw this couple make physical progress after devastation and be captivated by Christ amidst their suffering. I loved it and I think you would love it too.
And while I’m at it, here is my recommended Summer reading list!
- Hope Heals– Fabulous creative non-fiction which is my favorite genre!
- Practice of the Presence of God – Beyond helpful in bringing the presence of God into your every day moments.
- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality – The title does this book complete justice. Can’t recommend more highly.
- The Hiding Place – Corrie Ten Boom’s story of surviving World War II as a believer who hid Jews. Amazingly influential for my faith.
- Through The Gates of Splendor – The story of missionary men killed by the Aucau Indians but survived by their families and legacy of faith. Another Christian classic that has stuck with me.
- Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands – How broken people can help broken people. Fabulous read for those wanting to shepherd others.
- Faith Is Not A Feeling – Ney Bailey lost her best friends in the Colorado flood but found that faith in Christ is helped by our emotions and not dependent upon them.
- Sacred Marriage – Must read for anyone interested in becoming married or growing in married life.
- Brokenness, Holiness, Surrender – Nancy Leigh Demoss opens her trilogy of Christian maturity with how her speaking to the CRU national staff conference sparked a revival that our ministry has never gotten over. Great read for all people longing to grow spiritually.
- The Insanity of God – Another creative non-fiction book, this time about Christian persecution and martyrdom around the world. Can’t shake this book.
Those are my recommendations, what are you reading this summer?